Monday, January 07, 2008

North American November Holiday: THANKSGIVING!!!

November was not just a month to celebrate Peruvian holidays but to enjoy a great North American tradition: THANKSGIVING. I decided to celebrate with my kids because after all, giving thanks is really important no matter what culture you are in. I explained to the kids what Thanksgiving was all about and we acted out the story with our own natives and pilgrims. Afterwards, we made turkeys out of our handprints and wrote what we were thankful for and ate pumpkin cookies. It really was a very fun school day (and reminded me of the many years that I celebrated Thanksgiving as a kid at school).





School ended at 1:00 in order to honor this holiday and the N. American teachers ran off to a missionary community Thanksgiving dinner. The Shultz family (who were originally talking about just having a small group over) had over 30 people from the greater missionary community over for Thanksgiving. There were Wycliffe missionaries, Presbyterian, Baptist, independent and Mennonite missionaries all together to celebrate a holiday that holds a special place in all our hearts.

You should have seen all the food! We had four turkeys with all the typical sides!! My favorite dish was definitely the sweet potato casserole which was made by one of the missionaries who doesn't really like sweet potato! When it came time for dessert, we all tried to shove some delicious apple pie, chocolate cheesecake or peanut butter pie in our mouths! What a privilige to gather together and still celebrate Thanksgiving in such a way.

I think what I am most thankful for this year (believe it or not) is that God allows me to pass through difficult things because He loves me and uses every situation for my good!! THANKS GOD!!!

No comments: